Full instructions will be published soon. Watch this space!
Making your own Ferret Easter Bunny Helper is a special experience. This a simple Ferret design that you can make your own cute, one of a kind helper. Although there are several steps to create a Ferret helper, they are kept surprisingly easy and can be done by children, with some assistance by adults. The good news is, there is no stitching, no cutting, no gluing involved. Therefore, no needles, no scissors and no glue are needed. In the future, instructions for a more advanced Ferret helper will be released that will more closely resemble the Ferret helper in the book, however, those instructions will involve the use of a glue gun and more advanced skills, tools, and supplies.
Please follow along with the step-by-step instructions and videos and before you know it, you’ll have own unique Ferret helper!
1. Gather your materials
Before getting started, you’ll need to gather up your materials. In many cases, you’ll have many of these materials laying around your house. If not, in most cases they can be purchased at your local Dollar Store or you can simply substitute an item with an alternative. For example, instead of glitter, use rice.
To begin, gather up these items:
– One (1) sock. You can use the color of your choice. Ferrets come in all sorts of colors.
– Fabric markers. Fabric markers work well with coloring on fabrics like socks.
– Mini hair rubber bands (also called hair elastics).
2. Make the ears
To make the tiny ears of the Ferret helper, you’ll need to use two (2) mini hair rubber bands.
– At the toe end of the sock, push in to form an small indented area.
– Pinch from the middle to one of the edges, then wrap a rubber band twice around the pinched edge to form one ear.
– Pinch from the middle to the other edge, then wrap a rubber band twice around the pinched edge to form the other ear.
– Shape the area as needed.
3. Make the head
To make the head you’ll need some stuffing and one (1) mini hair rubber band.
– Fill the toe end portion of the sock with stuffing to form the head.
– Wrap a rubber band twice around the neck.
4. Make the front legs
To make the two front legs, you’ll need two (2) mini hair rubber bands.
– About an inch or so below the neck, pinch an outer edge of the sock (smaller than the size of the ear) and wrap a rubber around the pinched area two to three times to form one of the front legs.
– Repeat the previous on the other side to form the other front leg.
5. Make the back legs
To make the two back legs, you’ll need two (2) mini hair rubber bands.
– About two inches or so below the front legs, pinch an outer edge of the sock (the same size as the front legs) and wrap a rubber around the pinched area two to three times to form one of the back legs.
– Repeat the previous on the other side to form the other back leg.
6. Make the body
To make the body you’ll need some stuffing.
– Fill the the sock with stuffing up to head down to the back legs to form the body.
– Fold back the remaining part of the sock. Do not fill the rest of the sock with stuffing.
Optional: If you’d like, you can also add glitter or other mementos inside for more magic.
7. Make the tail
To make the tail you’ll need one (1) mini hair rubber band.
– Fold the open end of the sock, just below the back legs, behind the ferret. This will form the tail.
– Halfway down the tail, wrap the rubber band twice.
– Pinch a small area of the back of the ferret, then secure the tail to the pinched area using the same rubber band fro the tail.
8. Personalize your Ferret helper
In this step, you will personalize your Ferret helper. The trademark look of the Ferret helper in the book, Track Easter Bunny: An Easter Tradition, is the mask around the eyes and the smile. Here’s a look at one scene where the ferret appears in the book with trademark look, of the mask around the eyes and the little mouth.
You can use a variety of markers or other items to personalize your Ferret helper, but fabric markers are an easy way to draw on fabric.
– Draw the mask around the eyes.
– Draw the eyes inside the mask.
– Draw the mouth.
– Draw the outline of the belly.
– Draw the Bunny Ear Badge.
– Draw in the ears.
– Add in as much detail as you’d like. Once you’re happy with the look, move on to the final step.
9. Apply Glitter and Recite Poem
Now you’re ready to bring your Ferret helper to life. You’ll need glitter for this step, but if you don’t have glitter, you can use rice, or small pieces of paper, or even bird seed. Anything that you can sprinkle will work. What’s most important, is that you recite the Easter Bunny Helper Poem at the same time that you sprinkle the glitter.
– Sprinkle glitter on the Ferret helper and read aloud the following poem,
“A little sprinkle here and there,
Now bring Easter joy everywhere”
10. Register your Ferret helper with Easter Island
Once you’ve created your Ferret helper, you can register your helper with Easter Island and you’ll receive an adoption certificate with your Ferret helper’s name. If you need help selecting a name, go here for some ideas.